BHERT Member: Flinders University
Flinders University is a globally focused institution based in Adelaide with a reputation for innovation and excellence in research, teaching and translation of knowledge into the community.
Ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide by Times Higher Education, Flinders is finding solutions to the world’s challenges and contributing to cultural and economic growth. 90 per cent of its research has been ranked at or above world class by Excellence in Research for Australia.
Flinders’ TMI hub supports SMEs to enter the i4.0 era, including those serving primes in defence and other growing national industries.
Flinders University strengths include:
- Autonomous vehicles
- Clean technology
- Creative arts
- Defence industry innovation
- Entrepreneurial development
- Marine research
- Medicine and health including digital solutions and biomedical devices
- Psychology and mental health
- Sleep research and solutions
- Water and the environment
Flinders’ teaching strengths are reflected in its five-star rating for the pivotal metrics of student/teacher ratio, skills development, learning resources and overall student experience by the Good Universities Guide.
Its research is underpinned by a robust network of partnerships that are integral to student experience and enable the university to innovatively bridge the gap between knowledge and real-world outcomes.
Flinders University’s collaborative centres include:
- Australian Industrial Transformation Institute - bringing together engineers and scientists to find new approaches by leading technological change.
- Órama - Flinders’ institute for mental health and neuroscience that is developing new insights, treatments and solutions to benefit people around the world.
- Medical Device Partnering Program - renowned for its success in streamlining medtech development, it’s expanding interstate.
- CDW Studios – our design collaboration has twice won the title of best digital illustration school in the world. (The Rookies, 2017, 2018)
- Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health - Flinders’ internationally recognised centre of excellence for research and teaching unveiled a new $4 million laboratory in 2019.
- Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology - working with business and industry to connect real-world problems with research-driven solutions.
- New Venture Institute - named top university incubator in the Asia Pacific through its strengths in fostering entrepreneurs.
- Tonsley Manufacturing Innovation Hub - one of Australia’s most dynamic innovation enablers with industry leaders including Siemens and SAGE Automation.
- Cisco Australia partnership - the Flinders University Cisco Academy delivers world-class training in networking and cybersecurity.
Flinders’ defence partnerships include collaborations with defence primes and global institutions, which are enabling projects across augmented reality, maritime engineering, robotics and more.
With a campus footprint that extends from Adelaide through regional South Australia, Victoria and central Australia to Darwin, Flinders provides more than 27,000 students with a world-class education in a stimulating, friendly environment.
In an era of disruptive change and remarkable technological innovation, Flinders University is driving enterprising solutions for the future - making a difference by changing lives and, ultimately, the world.
An agreement was signed in February 2019 between Flinders University and French defence partners to progress autonomous maritime vehicle research and development, providing opportunities for industry and academic institutions in France and Australia.
Standing (L-R) Mr Loïg Chesnais-Girard, President, Regional Council of Brittany; the Hon. Steven Marshall, Premier of South Australia. Seated (L-R) Mr Pascal Pinot, Director, ENSTA Bretagne; Mr Hervé Guillou, Chairman and CEO of Naval Group; Professor Colin Stirling, President and Vice-Chancellor of Flinders University.